Brussels + Black Beans w Coconut "Bacon"
Serves 2-3 as a main 4-6 as a side // 15 min prep time // 15 min cooking time
I always use Niulife coconut products in my cooking. I fell in love with Niulife, a social enterprise, when I started working in a health food store and sincerely recommend their range to everyone. Niulife products are certified organic, ethically produced and sustainably sourced with 100% of the profits going back to the Pacific Island communities which produce it. And I think we can all agree that's pretty incredible!
Brussels and Beans
- 400g Brussels Sprouts (I used a mixture of green and purple)
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp-1tbsp Niulife Original Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1-2 tbsp Niulife coconut oil
- 1 cups Niulife coconut flakes
- ½ tbsp Niulife coconut oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp Niulife Original Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke* (can omit)
- 1 pinch Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 large red chilli (or preferred variety and heat)
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
Preheat over to 160C. Add coconut flakes, coconut oil, coco amino, smoked sweet paprika, liquid smoke and sea salt and coat evenly. Arange evenly on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 5 minutes and then stir and bake for a further 4-5 until golden and crisp- keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly. It will become more crispy as it cools. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container for a week.
In a food processor add avocado, lime juice, garlic and salt and blitz until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, mash with a fork. Store leftovers in the fridge.
Beans and Brussels
Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add oil, Brussels sprouts and salt and cook until tender, approximately 8 minutes. Add cumin and coriander, coco aminos and black beans and heat through for a further 2-3 minutes. Serve with coconut bacon, guacamole and garnish with chilli, fresh coriander and lime juice.