Baked Sweet Potatoes w Beans, Slaw + Cashew Cheese
Purple vegetables and anthocyanins, not only are they incredibly photogenic but they are incredibly good for you! Anthocyanin is the antioxidant that gives the brilliant purple, deep red or blue hues you see in eggplants, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, purple potatoes, purple caulis, purple carrots, purple cabbage etc. Antioxidants inhibit and in some cases prevent oxidation in the body.
Plant-based foods are the main source but our body makes some as well. Antioxidants work differently, but they unite to fight free radicals. Free radicals cause the process of oxidation, which damages you cells and their genetic material. Our bodies make free radicals as a by product of processing food, toxins (smoke, pollution, alcohol) and sunlight. Free radicals have a detrimental effect on or health and are linked to things like joint inflammation, nerve cell damage, accelerating the aging process, heart disease, deterioration of our eye lens, and certain cancers which are triggered by damaged cell DNA.
These are baked sweet potatoes with my favourite slaw using purple carrot and purple cabbage, four bean mix, Peace Love and Vegetables If you prefer you could use fetta or sourcream and they would be delish too!
Serves 2 // 5 min prep time // 60min cooking time
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can Four Bean Mix
- 2 cups cabbaged sliced thinly
- 1 medium carrot or 2 small carrots
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp dill seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 big pinch of salt
Cashew cheese, fetta or sour cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Mix cabbage, carrot, dill seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and salt and let sit for 60 minutes.
- Line or grease a baking tray. Use a fork to pierce holes in the sweet potatoes, coat with olive oil and place on the tray.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until flesh soft and cooked through. Carefully cut each sweet potato down the middle and cover with bean mix. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until beans are hot.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and top with slaw and cashew cheese.