Mediterranean Style Roast Vegetable + Quinoa Salad w Lemon Yoghurt Dressing
This Mediterranean inspired salad is full of whole-food goodness and is a nutritional powerhouse. This meal is packed full of protein with quinoa (a whole grain with a complete amino acid profile), almonds and Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt also provides us with probiotic goodness to support our gut health. Gorgeous green vegetables offer an array of essential nutrients including magnesium to help sore muscles, vitamin C for immune support, iron for healthy bloody cells and fibre to keep us feeling fuller for longer and support optimum digestion. Extra virgin olive oil provides us with healthy monounsaturated fats and anti-inflammatory properties. The contrasting flavours of tangy lemon yogurt dressing and sweetness of the dates work synergistically to create something very special in this very nutritionally balanced meal.
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 200g brussel sprouts
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 small zucchini
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt (pot set)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lemon
- 2 pitted medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp natural almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 large handfuls mesclun mix
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Mint (to garnish)
- Pink Himalayan or Celtic salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. In a medium pot add rinsed quinoa and 1 1/3 cups of water and bring to boil, over a low heat simmer, covered for 15 minutes, until tender.
3. Quatre Brussel sprouts lengthwise and trim ends, cut zucchini into 1cm coins and trim broccolini ends.
4. Place the vegetables on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, tossing to combine and arrange evenly. Roast vegetables on the middle rack of the oven for about 15 minutes or until browned and tender.
5. In a small bowl combine yoghurt, the juice of 1/2 lemon and 2 tsp of lemon rind and garlic.
6. Add almonds, dates to cooked quinoa.
7. Assembly quinoa, roast vegetables and mesclun in a bowl. Garnish with mint leaves, an extra squeeze of lemon juice and the lemon yoghurt dressing.