Hipster Glazed Cinnamon Donuts
Raw, vegan, glazed cinnamon donuts! Woohooo!
It seems like dietary requirements are trendy in Australia. These bad boys are raw, gluten free, grain free, vegan, paleo, dairy free, refined sugar free etc etc. They tick all the diet trend boxes but even better they pack a nutritional punch, loaded with healthy fats and protein and blood sugar balancing cinnamon.
These donuts will have the soccer mums, fitspo junkies and RM Williams wearing, fixie riding, craft beer drinkers alike swooning. Raw, vegan treaties are becoming the increasingly popular in Australia. You’ll find them at all the trendiest cafes and markets, served along side a cold-drip coffee or almond mylk turmeric latte. Aussies love labels on their foods at the moment, whether it be for a genuine food allergy, newfound passion for the environment or just an excuse for an insta post. This is a completely whole-foods recipe with everything available at bulk stores, which will have the environmentally conscious and zero-wasters (another rising trend in Australia which I LOVE) gushing.
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 medjool dates, pits removed (soaked for 10minutes in hot water)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt (preferably pink Himalayan, sea or lake)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Add coconut to a food processor, process alone for 1 minute or until oils begin to release.
- Add dates, almond meal, vanilla, salt and maple syrup and process until it forms a dough-like consistency.
- Roll dough into a sausage and cut into 6 even pieces.
- Form dough into balls and use a chopstick or skewer to make a hole in the middle of each.
- Using your hands mould each into a “donut” shape
- For the glaze combine coconut oil, maple syrup and almond butter. Drizzle evenly over the top of donuts.
- Set aside in the fridge for half an hour before serving.