Mexican Inspired Baked Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4 // 15min prep time // 45-60min cooking time
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 cans preferred beans (black, white, adzuki or kidney beans)
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced (optional)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley/coriander, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Line or grease a baking tray. Use a fork to pierce holes in the sweet potatoes, coat with coconut oil and place on the tray evenly.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until flesh soft and cooked through.
- In a separate bowl, combine capsicum, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and season with salt and pepper.
- In a second bowl, mash avocado and combine with garlic and lime juice.
- Drain, rinse and dry beans.
- Once cooked, remove sweet potato cut down the middle about 1 cm from the bottom without cutting it in half.
- Fill each sweet potato with beans and return to oven for a further 10 minutes. Remove sweet potato and top with vegetable mixture, avocado, herbs and some chilli flakes.